Request Amendment of Education Records

Request Amendment of Education Records

You have the right to request amendment of your education records if you believe they are inaccurate or misleading. You should write the university official responsible for the specific record, clearly identify the part of the record you want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

That university official will reach a decision and inform you in a reasonable amount of time after receiving the request. If your request to amend the record is denied, the university official will advise you of your right to a hearing on the requested amendment, and provide information on hearing procedures.

This hearing will be conducted by a hearing officer or committee appointed by the Provost. The hearing will be held before an officer or committee with no direct interest in the outcome of the hearing. However, the hearing officer or committee may be employed by or exist at BU. The hearing will be held within a reasonable amount of time after the request for a hearing has been made. The hearing officer will notify you, reasonably in advance, of the date, place and time of the hearing.

You will be afforded a full and fair opportunity to present evidence relevant to the issue raised. You may be accompanied by one or more other persons, including an attorney. The hearing officer or committee will make a decision in writing based on the evidence presented at the hearing. The decision will include a summary of the evidence presented and the reasons for the decision.

If the hearing officer or committee supports the complaint, the education record will be amended accordingly and you will be so informed. If the hearing officer or committee decides not to amend the education record, you have the right to place in the education record a statement commenting on the challenged information and/or stating the reasons for disagreeing with the decision. This statement will be maintained as part of the education record as long as the contested portion is maintained, and whenever a copy of the education record is sent to any party, your statement will be included.

Destruction of Records

Nothing in this policy requires the continued maintenance of any student record for any particular length of time. However, if under the terms of this policy you have requested access to your education record, the record will not be destroyed before the custodian has granted you access.