Student Information - IES

Student Information - IES


IES Mayor

IES Dr. Soltz

Prospective Students

Bloomsburg University offers something for everyone – rigorous courses, innovative research opportunities, outlets for creative expression, diversity participation and much more.

All questions regarding university admission status should be directed to the appropriate admission office:

• Undergraduate -

• Graduate -

• Non-degree -

• English as a Second or Other Language (ESOL) Institute -

International Students should send all documents related to admission directly to the Office of Admissions. Once these documents are approved and the student has been accepted to Bloomsburg University, the Office of Global and Multicultural Education will issue the signed document to apply for overseas US visas. For more information visit:

Financial Aid for International Students

International students who desire to study at Bloomsburg University may need to seek assistance through organizations that specialize in financially assisting international students. Information can be obtained in public and university libraries or on the World Wide Web. International students are eligible to apply for international tuition waivers and scholarships at BU. The criteria for International Tuition Waiver is based on financial need, participation in cultural diversity programs and the academic achievement (grade point average). For more information visit: and Global and Multicultural Education at 570-389-4199.

Current Students

A collection of links to academic information and campus resources international students should know about as a current international student at Bloomsburg University.

Academics -

Student Support Services

The goal is to increase students’ engagement, improve service levels, and streamline campus operations with a well-managed Student Support Services.

Dean of Students - and

Immigration -

Orientation -

Health Center and Insurance - and

Pilot, The Student Handbook -

Tax Information

Benjamin Franklin, once remarked that ‘we cannot be certain of anything except death and taxes.’ Therefore, all international students are subject to taxation in the U.S. IES provides free tax assistance through BU Accounting Club and other non-profit organizations. Watch for announcement or contact

Driver’s License and State ID card

Penn DOT requires that student in F-1 and J-1 status (I-20, DS-2019, or I-797) be valid for one year or more to be eligible for a Pennsylvania ID Card or Driver’s License.

Students (F-1) and J-1 Scholars need to wait for 10 business days before applying for SSN after their entry to the United States.

Application forms for the Driver's License can be download from the PA Division of Motor Vehicles

Documents needed for Pennsylvania Driver's License or ID Card

The following documents are needed to obtain a Pennsylvania Driver's License or ID Card. Take these documents to a Driver License Center to obtain your ID Card or Driver’s License.

• Pennsylvania has a special reciprocity agreement with France and Germany. French and German nationals should inquire with Penn DOT for details.

• Canadians may drive legally in the U.S. using a Canadian driver’s license for 60 days after moving to Pennsylvania.

Document Requirements

Letter verifying your status (F-1 or J-1) at BU.

Your social security card. If you are not eligible for a social security number you will need to bring a letter of denial/indecision from the Social Security office.

Two of the following as proof of residency in Pennsylvania:

• Current utility bills (for example, electric, cable, telephone, etc., but not cell phone bills) -- Online billing statements are not acceptable. You may use two of the same type of utility bill as long as they are for two different months.

• Tax records

• Lease agreements or proof of residency letter from the housing office for on-campus students

• Car insurance statements

• If you do not have any utility bills, any mail (not email) from BU sent to your PA residence may be acceptable.

Your original immigration documents to verify your status and authenticate your duration of stay:

• I-20 (F-1), DS-2019(J-1), I-797

• EAD (if any)

Your valid passport

I-94 card (if issued paper I-94) or I-94 printout (if issued electronic I-94), Refer to the automated I-94 process

Your US Entry Visa (used for last entry)

Address: DMV, 116 East Third Street, Berwick, PA 18603, Tel: 570 752 8831 (call before your visit)

Social Security Number

To apply for a social security number you must

Have employment letter (on Campus) printed on your employer’s letterhead

Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5)

Have your original passport, I-20/DS-2019 and I-94 card

Verification letter from Global/Multicultural Education that you are enrolled full-time

Take your completed application and original documents to your local Social Security office in person located at

Social Security Administration

700 Market St, Bloomsburg, PA 17815

(800) 772-1213

Employment (on campus) - “Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life” - Confucius.