Resources for Graduate Students

Graduate Course Scheduling

Graduate courses must be scheduled with the approval of your advisor. Note: The Dean of Graduate Studies serves as the advisor for non-degree students.

Drop/Add/Withdraw from Courses

It's assumed if you enroll for a graduate course, you're planning to attend that course. If it's your intention to drop/add/withdraw from a course, you must fill out the appropriate form (available in our office, the Office of the Registrar, as well as online). The form must have your advisor's signature.

Deadlines are listed online — failure to follow the proper procedures will result in you being billed for the course. In addition to submitting the form with appropriate signatures by the appropriate deadline to the Registrar's Office, you must request a refund of fees (if applicable), in writing, to the Business Office.

Grades and Transcripts

Grades are posted within MyHusky To receive an official transcript, you can request one online.

Transfer of Credits

  • ... from another university — Up to nine semester hours of graduate work (B or better) may be transferred from another institution. Requests for transfer credits should be made before taking the course. (We strongly recommend that you obtain approval before you take a course you intend to transfer into your program). A special form, which outlines certain rules that apply to transfer credits, is available.
  • ... from another program — No more than 12 credits may be applied to a second program. Approval from your advisor and graduate dean are necessary. If you are applying to a second master's, transferred credits must not reduce the number of credits earned below 24.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate Assistantships are open to all regularly admitted students pursuing a master's or doctoral degree. There are a varying number of assistantships available with each graduate program and in particular departments/offices across the university.

Andruss Library

As a graduate student, you have access to the library’s many resources and services, including print and online books and journals. You also have access to personalized research assistance from librarians. To check out materials from the library, you must use your BU ID card. To learn more about research at the graduate level, view a special research guide.


Non-Degree Status

Students may take up to twelve credits in non-degree status. They must then either be accepted into a program or submit verification in writing to our office that they do not intend to pursue a degree through Bloomsburg University. No more than twelve credits taken in non-degree status will apply to a degree program. You are not eligible for financial aid or a graduate assistantship as a non-degree student.

Act 48 credits

This category can be used for teachers seeking to fulfill the Act 48 requirement. You must apply as a non-degree graduate student. In order to submit Act 48 credits to PDE, you must complete the Request for Act 48 Teacher Certification Credit Report.

Application for Graduation

It's the responsibility of the graduating student to complete the online application for graduation. If you have any questions or concerns about graduation eligibility, please contact your program coordinator directly.

  • Remaining Active: If you do not enroll in graduate courses for more than a two-year period, you are considered inactive and must submit a new application and application fee.
  • Degree Completion Timeline: Each student is expected to complete the requirements for their master's degree within six calendar years. This includes courses accepted in transfer (see section on transfer credits).
  • Teacher Recertification

    Educators who received Instructional I certification after September 22, 2007 must complete at least six post-baccalaureate credits of collegiate study in the area of Inclusive Classrooms and/or Standards Aligned Systems (SAS) prior to applying for Instructional II licensure conversion. The Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality at the Pennsylvania Department of Education will review Level II applications and transcripts for evidence that acceptable coursework has been completed. Graduate courses that address the targeted competencies at Bloomsburg University can be found on the Teacher Recertification information sheet.