University Fees and Charges

Tuition (Basic Fee)

Tuition (also known as the basic fee) covers the cost of courses you will take, but does not cover books and supplies. Tuition is established annually by the State System of Higher Education board of governors, usually in July, after the state legislature determines support levels for higher education in the commonwealth. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania provides approximately $4,421 per full-time equivalent student to the State System of Higher Education in support of each student's education and the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition reflects this support. Tuition is the same for all 14 State System of Higher Education universities.

Pennsylvania residency - The State System of Higher Education has established a policy to determine whether a student is a "resident" or "non-resident." Residency is determined by the location of one's "domicile" (for most students, where their family legally resides) and is proven through such means as income tax returns, vehicle registration, ownership or lease of residency, voter registration, etc. Details about how residency can be proven are available from the university's business office.

Full-time, Part-time Students

An undergraduate student enrolled with 12 or more credits per semester or an graduate student enrolled with nine or more credits per semester is considered "full-time."

An undergraduate student enrolled with fewer than 12 credits per semester or a graduate student enrolled with fewer than nine credits per semester is considered "part-time." Tuition is calculated per credit.

Full-time undergraduate students enrolled with more than 18 credits per semester or full-time graduate students enrolled with more than 15 credits pay additional tuition at the per-credit rate.

University Fees

The Academic Enhancement Fee, established annually by the Bloomsburg University Council of Trustees, supports general instructional operations and academic facilities’ needs.

The Student Success Fee will be used to maintain or enhance student academic support services, experiential learning opportunities outside of the classroom, and other initiatives that contribute to student success. This fee will be assessed to all undergraduate students, beginning in fall 2016, and will be set annually by the Bloomsburg University Council of Trustees.

The Technology Tuition Fee, established by the State System Board of Governors, provides direct support to technology infrastructure on the Bloomsburg University campus. The campus network, student labs, classroom presentation systems and other technologies used by faculty and students are supported by this fee.

Health Service/Wellness Fee - The Health Service/Wellness Fee includes access to the Student Health Center, Center for Counseling and Human Development, and also provides a variety of other wellness services, such as prevention, education, public health, and services regarding alcohol and other drugs.

All students carrying nine or more semester hours are assessed a Health Service/Wellness Fee during fall and spring semesters. All summer term students are charged a fee based on the number of credit hours in which they are enrolled.

The fee is not a substitute for health insurance, which students are required to have or obtain. Students who are enrolled out of the area (student teachers, students on internships, online only) are not routinely charged the Wellness Fee, but can elect this fee if the student wants to take advantage of the Health/Wellness Services. Faculty and staff who schedule academic courses are not assessed a Health Service/Wellness Fee.

The Clinical Fee covers the high costs of clinical supervision as required by accreditation and is similar to fees that are charged by other universities with Nursing programs both within and outside of the PASSHE system. Students will be assessed the clinical fee when they have completed the required number of credits to be classified as a sophomore, junior or senior.

The Science Lab Fee covers the cost of consumable lab supplies and materials. Students will be assessed the science lab fee when they are enrolled in a College of Science and Technology (COST) lab.

Transportation Fee is used to enhance the shuttle bus service, allowing for a longer route and an increased number of stops. It is established annually by the Council of Trustees.

Registration/Transcript Fee covers the cost of transcripts available at no additional charge for students and alumni, as well as the cost of diplomas. It is established annually by the Council of Trustees.

Community Activities Fee allows the student to attend social, athletic and cultural events on campus at a nominal charge or, at time, free of charge.  The community activity sticker can be obtained at the beginning of each semester at the Community Activities office located in Kehr Union.

Housing Fees

Housing fees for on-campus residence are established annually by the Bloomsburg University Council of Trustees. Most available housing is double occupancy in seven residence halls and in groups of four (same gender) in apartments on upper campus. Although students' housing preferences are considered whenever possible, the university reserves the right to alter the composition of residence halls.

Housing and food services are provided on a combined basis only for students living in the residence halls. Meal plans are optional for students living in upper campus apartments. Housing and food service agreements are binding for a specified period and may not be transferred or reassigned.

Freshmen under 21 years of age must live on campus or commute from their parents' residence. If extenuating circumstances justify other housing arrangements, a written request for waiver of this residency requirement must be submitted to the director of Residence Life, ground floor, Elwell Residence Hall, Bloomsburg University, Bloomsburg, PA 17815.

Transfer students, upon acceptance to the university and payment of the advance deposit, are eligible for on-campus housing on a space available basis, but married students and/or students with families whose housing needs are atypical are not eligible.

Students must participate in an assignment process for housing on upper and lower campus to reserve a room for the following academic year. Eligibility requirements are subject to revision in response to fluctuations in enrollment figures and student demand for on-campus accommodations.

Further information concerning on-campus or off-campus housing may be obtained by contacting the Residence Life Office at 570-389-4089.

Arrangements for room guests must be approved by the resident director of the hall where the guest will be housed.

Meal Plans

Important: Meal plan signup for the fall semester will remain the same through the spring semester and will be on your billing for spring semester unless you change or cancel it.

Meal plan fees are established annually, usually in the spring, by the Bloomsburg University Council of Trustees. All students who live in the residence halls are required to take their meals in the campus dining hall under one of five food service plans during the academic year.

  • 19 meals per week
  • 14 meals per week
  • 10 meals per week
  • 175 block
  • 275 block

Housing and food service fees are the same for Pennsylvania residents and out-of-state students. Meal plans apply to any meals served in the dining facilities Monday through Sunday. No changes to meal plans are processed after the first week of the semester.

Charges for dining hall meals are adjusted annually after the end of the academic year. The adjustment under the food service contract, currently in force, is based on the wholesale price index.

Students who live off-campus or in the Montgomery Place Apartments have the option of purchasing a meal plan at the Bursar Office in Waller Administration Building.

The meal plan provides a cash equivalency option which allows students to purchase a certain dollar amount at each meal in the various food facilities on campus including snack bars. After making a selection, the cash price of the meal is totaled. If the cost is under the prescribed amount, there is no charge. If it exceeds this amount, the difference must be paid in cash or in "flex dollars." One cash equivalency meal equals one board meal.

Flex Plan

Flex dollars, which are part of the meal plan and may be purchased separately by students living off-campus or in the Montgomery Place Apartments, broaden a student's options. These dollars can be used at any food facility. Each time a student uses flex dollars, the expenditure is subtracted from the balance of the student's flex account. Students living in the residence halls can add to their flex account any amount over $25. Students living off-campus and in the Montgomery Place Apartments can purchase flex dollars at the Bursar Office in any amount over $25 once they have made an initial minimum deposit of $100 into their flex account.

The flex balance carries over from fall to spring semester only. Any balance left at the end of the spring semester is not refundable and cannot be transferred.

Student Union, Recreation Fees

Student Union Fee - Students are charged a Student Community Building Fee, established by the Community Government Association, which pays for the Kehr Union Building.

Student Union Operations Fee Students are charged a fee to provide for the day-to-day operations cost of Kehr Union. The fee is established by the Community Government Association.

Recreation Fee - Students are charged a Recreation Center fee, established by the Community Government Association, which pays for the facility and entitles the student to use the center for recreational purposes.