English Advisement

English Advisement



Please meet with your advisor each semester before scheduling, even if you know what classes you will be taking the following academic year. As the department is continually re-evaluating their processes, it is always important to check to see if there are any changes regarding your program, be it a major or a minor. This is particularly true with the adding of the new General Education program and understanding course credits versus General Education Points (GEPs)

If you are unsure who your advisor is, please contact Dr. Mark Decker at either 570-389-4337 or mdecker@bloomu.edu.

Reserved Enrollment in Courses

There are a small number of reserved seats in our survey and other lower-division courses. If you are unable to schedule a needed English course, contact Dr. Mark Decker (BCH 115A, ext. 4337).

Minimum Grade Requirement in Secondary Education

The Pennsylvania Department of Education requires for certification a grade of C or better in every course in a student's content area. This means that you must have a C (not a C-) or better in an English course in order to have it count toward completion of your Secondary English program.

Departmental Policy Regarding Overloads

Foundations of Writing courses and other courses are capped at the designated departmental levels and faculty are not authorized to "pink slip" students into the class.