Student Assistance

Student Assistance

Dan Haverstock

When unexpected life events occur and you are in need of some assistance, support, someone to talk to, or just someone to listen, The Office of The Dean of Students provides students with the assistance they need to obtain their highest level of academic achievement and maximum holistic growth. Here are the forms of assistance the Office of The Dean of Students provides.

Dan Haverstock

For Student Assistance

When students get to a crossroad in their college life and say, “I don’t know where to go for…?”

Then Dan Haverstock has the answer.

Haverstock is the Assistant Dean of Student for Student Assistance, which is a position established in 2013 by the Office of the Dean of Students. Students with any serious issues or concerns can go to Haverstock in hopes of receiving a listening ear, receive recommendations, or to find solutions for problems. The use of on-campus resources is very important to Haverstock.

Haverstock help assist students with concerns regarding personal sickness, loss of a family member, breakups, and anything else impeding on their academic success or holistic growth. He also can direct students to relevant resources for those seeking tutoring, mentors, or aid from professors and advisors. He says, “I have been referred to as a ‘utility knife’ because I am used in a plethora of different ways as a tool to put students in a position where they can help themselves.”

His listening and direction can help students be heard and gain the confidence they need to move forward. The guidance he offers empowers students and allows them to start feeling differently about their issues. “Once students start thinking outside of the box, they tend to find conclusions on their own.” According to Haverstock, “I love working in student affairs.” It is an ideal place to say, “I help people.”

Students may find Dan Haverstock in Office 102 in Kehr Union Building. His office hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M-F and may be reached at 570-389-4984. Haverstock has an open door policy and will accept emails at any time. For more information regarding assistance through the Office of the Dean of Students view our student assistance guide.

Students of Concern

You are NOT mandated to report mental health concerns. However, you may not want to take on the role of the main support network or that level of liability for a student. So, you can encourage a student to seek out other appropriate resources. Here is a quick reference guide for how to manage a situation with a student of concern.


The CARE (Behavioral Intervention) team responds to students who exhibit erratic, disruptive, disturbing, or troubling behavior. When a student of concern is referred to the CARE team, members of the team work together to provide cross-departmental assistance and support.


In any situation, it would be a good idea to talk to your professor first, your advisor, or speak with a staff member from the Office of the Dean of Students. Overall, it is important to weigh all your options and do what is best for you, your health and well-being, your finances, and your GPA. The staff in the Office of the Dean of Students is happy to discuss your options and help you. Call to make an appointment as soon as you think you may be in a situation where you will be missing extended periods of class! We can help, but WE CANNOT FIX A SITUATION for you.
For more information regarding absences.

Additional Resources

Healthy Husky

Healthy Husky is Bloomsburg University's Health and Wellness initiative that provides programs, services, and events that educate and motivate students to adopt healthy behaviors. Research demonstrates that healthy students are successful students.

Food Assistance

Bloomsburg University can provide students who are experiencing financial hardships with food assistance. Students who do not have the resources or means to obtain food for meals may utilize the Food Assistance website for more information and instruction on receiving these services.


Bloomsburg University's Center for Counseling and Human Development helps students develop human relations skills and personal growth. Typical counseling concerns may include study skills, depression, relationship issues, stress management, assertiveness and effective communications, racism, sexism, and homophobia, human sexuality, anxiety, drug and alcohol abuse, eating disorders, survivors of rape, incest and sexual assault, depression, ACOA and family issues, self-esteem.

Additional Resources

Bloomsburg University has a plethora of different resources for students. The following link provides a list of these Resources and links to each of their associated web pages.

Legal Issues

A lawyer is on campus each semester for two hour sessions to discuss student legal concerns. Contact the Community Activities Office at 570-389-4462 for more information about specific dates, times and location. This service is provided by the Community Government Association.