Frequently Asked Admissions Questions

Frequently Asked Admissions Questions

Why Bloomsburg University?

I am applying as ...

Freshman Β  Transfer

Graduate Studies Β  International

Re-Admission Β  Second Degree

Non-Degree Β  ACE

What's BU's CEEB code?

The College Entrance Examination Board number is 2646.

What's BU's financial aid code?


How can I check on the status of my application?

Check your application status online to see if you have any missing documents or if a decision has been made. You can use your social security number and date of birth.

What does it take to get accepted?

BU is selective in its admission standards. Most entering students present SAT or ACT scores above the national average as well as a typical high school college preparatory program. In the admissions decision, we consider your class rank, grade point average, level of difficulty of your high school program, and standardized test scores. Typical fall freshmen enter with SAT scores totaling 1070 and are in the upper 25 percent of their graduating class.

Do you require an essay with the application?

No, just the application.

What are the application deadlines?

BU admits students on a "rolling admission" basis, which means Admissions reviews your completed application as soon as it arrives. Notification is usually four to six weeks later. Apply as early as possible; for some majors, applications received past Dec. 1 are considered late.

Are scholarships available?

Many scholarship opportunities - both merit and need based - are available to freshmen and upperclassmen, as well as a wide variety of other forms of financial aid. More than two-thirds of all BU students receive some form of aid. The admissions office will notify new applicants if they qualify for a scholarship.

When will I learn how much aid I get?

Starting approximately April 1, award letters are sent to federally eligible returning students and to incoming freshmen and transfers students who have determined that they will attend BU. Federal eligibility is determined by the FAFSA. Students attempting to make a decision regarding an early acceptance of admission, may contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine eligibility. Recipients of PHEAA State Grants will be notified by PHEAA in mid-May. Learn more about financial aid at BU

Can I pursue a major and a minor?

Yes, students can pursue a minor in a wide variety of academic disciplines. Minors generally consist of a minimum of 18 credit hours. Please contact the chairperson of the department in which you would like to pursue the minor or check the university's online catalog.

Are internships available?

Yes, in almost every major and in most semesters plus the summer months. Students work with their advisors and/or with the Professional U.

I've been accepted, but want to change my major. What should I do?

At this preliminary stage, send your request in writing to the Office of Admissions. This prompts a review of your application and, if possible, a change can be made. Be aware, though, that the new major may have limitations or restrictions that could adversely affect your plans.

My home address has changed. What should I do?

If you have not yet actually registered for classes, changes of address go to the Office of Admissions. Once you have registered for classes, address changes go to the Office of the Registrar.

What are the rules regarding Pennsylvania residency?

Students who would like to apply for Pennsylvania residency status for tuition purposes should contact Danielle Peters in the Finance and Business Services Department at (570)389-4647 or, or go to the Residency Classification for information.

I'm still in high school but want to take college classes. What should I do?

If you have completed your junior year of high school and wish to take a class, you would use a non-degree application and check category 3. The application is reviewed by admissions. You also will be required to submit an official high school transcript and, if available, PSAT and SAT test scores. As soon as you graduate from high school, the credits you earn become transferable to many colleges and universities, including BU.

Do you give college credit for AP courses?

If the advanced placement (AP) course you're taking in high school is through The College Board and your score on the examination is a 3, 4 or 5, then you may receive 3 (three) university credits.

What's the earliest I can apply for admission?

You can apply at any time, but applications for the following fall begin to get consideration in late September of what would be your senior year in high school. We don't ask students to take SAT or ACT tests as juniors, but do require SAT or ACT scores for consideration of application, so it's a good idea to take them in the junior year and then again in the senior year.

What high school courses should I take?

You should have a minimum of 16 academic units. Of these you must have four (4) years of English; four (4) social studies (example: history, sociology, psychology); minimum three (3) mathematics [recommend 4]; 3 Sciences (general or earth science, biology, chemistry or physics). The remaining units can be a foreign language or additional math or science courses. An entering traditional fall freshmen typically has completed 21 academic units in high school.

Can I bring a car to campus?

Students with fewer than 64 credit hours who live in residence halls may park in a lot on upper campus; regular shuttle service is provided. Dorm residents with more than 64 hours may park in a designated student lot adjacent to campus. Students commuting from home outside a specific perimeter may park in designated commuter parking areas.

Do you have on-campus day care for my children?

Yes. The Campus Child Center provides quality day care for children of all ages, year round.

I have a different college degree, but I want to teach. What should I do?

Contact the Department of Teaching and Learning

I'm thinking about working toward a degree part-time. How do I begin?

BU welcomes adult students and the Office of Adult Advisement works with you to help you reach your goal. You start as a non-degree Category 1 student and after you've reached a certain stage switch to become a degree student. All you need is a high school diploma to get started. And don't worry about competing with young people; adult students often raise the curve.

Can I take a course for personal enrichment or to improve my job skills?

Yes. Contact the Office of Adult Advisement to make arrangements.