Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What applications do I need to submit and what are the deadlines?

The FAFSA must be submitted for most forms of aid.  Additional applications must be submitted if you wish to apply for a scholarship, Pennsylvania State Grant, loan, or work-study.   Get more information on how to apply and deadlines

I have not decided if I will attend Bloomsburg University or I will not start until next spring. Must I submit the FAFSA by May 1?

Yes.  Deadlines are for the academic year.  For the 2021-2022 academic year (Summer 2021, Fall 2021, Spring 2022) the 2021-2022 FAFSA may be submitted beginning October 1, 2020.  Pennsylvania residents must file by May 1, 2021 to be considered for the Pennsylvania State Grant

What is Bloomsburg University's Title IV Code?

The code is 003315.

When will I receive an award letter?

Award letters for incoming students for the 2021-2022 academic year who have completed a 2021-2022 FAFSA will be sent mid-February 2021.  Upperclassmen who have a completed 2021-2022 FAFSA will be notified of eligibility on MyHusky in mid-May after Spring 2021 grades are posted.  Recipients of Pennsylvania State Grants will be notified in mid-May 2021 by PHEAA.

How many semesters can I receive aid?

  • Federal Aid (Pell Grant, SEOG Grant, Direct Student Loan, Direct PLUS Loan, FWSP):  Full-time undergraduate students requiring 120 credits for degree completion are required to complete their degree within 180 attempted credits.  Developmental credits taken which do not count toward degree completion will be excluded from the 180 credit calculation.  All transfer credits will count as credits attempted for this purpose.  Graduate students maximum time frames will vary by degree completion requirements.  The maximum standard will be set at 150 percent of the minimum number of credits needed to complete the graduate degree.  Direct Student Loans are also limited by aggregate limits.  Pell Grant is limited to 12 semesters of eligibility.
  • Pennsylvania State Grant:  Students may receive up to a maximum of eight full-time semesters of Pennsylvania State Grant.
  • Private Educational Alternative Loan:  Students should check with the holder of their loan.
  • Miscellaneous Aid:  Students should check with the source of their miscellaneous aid.

Will my aid be affected if I drop/withdraw from a course or withdraw from the university?

Yes.  Your eligibility may change.  Get more details on withdrawal information.

May I use financial aid to purchase textbooks?

Yes.  If your financial aid exceeds your university charges you may.  Get more details on this process.

May I use financial aid to pay off-campus housing expenses? 

Yes.  If your financial aid exceeds your university charges you may.  Please remember that refunds of excess financial aid do not occur until after the semester has started.  If your rent is due before this, you will need to work with your landlord.  Get more information on availability of funds.

What hours is the Office of Financial Aid open?

Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Summer hours may vary)

Where's the Office of Financial Aid on campus?

The Office of Financial Aid is located on the first floor of Warren Student Services Center Room 119.