GI Bill® Benefits

GI Bill® Benefits

Are you eligible for Chapter 1606, 1607, 30, 31, 33, or 35?
Have you applied for your GI Bill® Benefits?

» If yes, skip the next step, if no then proceed to the following information:

  • Apply for the appropriate chapter that you are eligible for
  • Click on the link "Apply" for benefits
  • Once you apply for benefits and fill out the application, it takes approximately four to six weeks to hear back from the VA and receive your eligibility letter.

Bring in a copy of your eligibility letter and your DD214 into the Office of the Registrar, Warren Student Services Center, Room 150. If you are changing schools to Bloomsburg University, you need to fill out a 22-1995 form, change of place of training form. This form is for the VA.

Undeclared Status

Undeclared students are those who have not yet identified the program of study they wish to pursue.
Veteran students utilizing their GI Bill® to pay their tuition can only be in undeclared status for two semesters.


* Chapter 1606 is an educational program for members who are actively participating in the Selected Reserve.

* Chapter 1607 this is an educational program for active members of the Selected Reserve called to active duty and members of the Individual Ready Reserve called to active duty in support of a contingency operation or a national emergency declared by the President or Congress. Members of the Selective Reserve may be eligible for Chapter 1607 and Chapter 33 after serving 90 consecutive days on active duty for a contingency operation. The Chapter 1607 benefit pays a percentage of the Chapter 30 three-year or more rate based on the number of continuous service days on active duty: 90 days but less than 1 year pays 40%, 1 year but less than 2 years pays 60%, and service of two continuous years or of an aggregate of three years or more pays 80% payment of the three-year rate. The 80% rate can be paid for two continuous years or an aggregate call-up service of three years or more.

* Chapter 30 has four eligibility categories. The benefits generally apply to Veterans who began
active duty service for the first time after June 30, 1985, had their pay reduced $100 a month for 12 months, and received an honorable discharge.

* All Chapter 1606 (MGIB Selected Reserve), Chapter 1607 (REAP) and Chapter 30 (MGIB Active Duty) must verify your attendance through W.A.V.E.

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation) should contact Matthew Dragwa, at the Department of Veterans Affairs, 1123 East End Blvd. Wilkes Barre, PA 18702, 570-821-2501, The VR&E will approve your eligibility and forward the necessary paperwork to the Veterans Affairs Desk at Bloomsburg University.

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) The maximum basic benefit under Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) provides the following:

  • Cost of tuition and fees, percentage of eligibility will be based on an individual’s aggregate period of active duty after Sept. 11, 2001 and will not exceed the most expensive in-state undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher learning in Pennsylvania;
  • Monthly housing allowance equal to the basic allowance for housing payable to an E-5 with dependents, in the same zip code as the school;
  • Yearly books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year.

Benefits are prorated based on the percentage of your eligibility. Each veteran will be different based on their length and type of service.

Chapter 35 (qualified dependents of deceased or disabled veterans) students need a copy of their birth certificate listing the names of both parents and documentation listing the veterans Social Security Number, percentage of disability and entitlement in order to apply for benefits. The VA requires that the veteran be 100% disabled for dependents to receive benefits under Chapter 35. A form 22-5490 must be completed to apply for chapter 35 benefits.

Students can hear an automated message confirming the processing of their latest payment by calling 1-888-442-4551. Choose option 1 for information on your educational benefits and enter the requested information. If you hear a recorded message stating there is no information available the VA has not completed the processing of your certification. You may also press 0 to be connected to a VA representative.


Each semester your benefits must be renewed.

At the beginning of each semester, the number of credits scheduled for students currently receiving benefits will be verified and a certification will be sent to restart your benefits by Bloomsburg University. If there are no changes to your status and you will be continuing to attend Bloomsburg University there is nothing you need to do. Schedules are routinely checked for changes four times each semester.

After the start of each semester please contact the Veterans Affairs Desk if you drop, add or withdraw from classes, withdraw from the University or are deployed.
Summer Semesters: Any benefit recipient who will be taking classes during a summer semester and wishes to continue to receive their benefits over the summer must notify the Veterans Affairs Desk in the Office of the Registrar. Otherwise your credits will be certified for the Fall and Spring Semesters only.

Deployment: In the event you are called to active duty during a semester the Military Deployment Procedure will go into effect. You must notify the Office of the Registrar of you deployment and provide a copy of you orders.
Official Military Transcripts: Students who have served in the military and wish to obtain credits for military courses taken must have official transcripts submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

The American Council on Education makes recommendations for the transfer of credit for courses taken while in the military. Bloomsburg University considers issuing credit based on those recommendations when the course is appropriate to educational experiences at Bloomsburg University. Credit is not granted for military experience.