Global Education Frequently Asked Questions

Global Education Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ for Study Abroad

  1. Where can I study abroad?

    There are countless opportunities to study abroad just about anywhere in the world. Bloomsburg University sponsors many study-abroad programs. You can also find programs through other universities and through special study-abroad program providers.

  2. How much does it cost to study abroad?

    You can usually study abroad for about the same price as studying at Bloomsburg University, especially if you study abroad on a BU program. We can try to find other programs for you that may be comparable in price, but BU’s tend to be the most affordable. You may study through other universities and study-abroad venues, but usually the cost is higher, even twice as high as a BU program.

  3. Do I have to have high grades to study abroad? Am I eligible to study abroad?

    Some programs have grade average requirements from 2.5 to 3.0 GPA. But often any student in good academic standing can be eligible to study abroad.

  4. What year can I study abroad?

    Theoretically, students can study abroad any time during their studies at the university. However, it is usually very impractical for freshmen to study abroad and even the sophomore year can be too early. You will want to get established in your major(s) and take time to prepare academically and emotionally for the experience. That is why most students study abroad during their junior year. Seniors are usually concerned with preparing for the next phase in their lives after graduation, such as careers or graduate school.

  5. When should I start my application and what are the deadlines?

    It is never too early to begin planning for study abroad. But we recommend you speak with the Director of Global Education a year before your planned departure. Most deadlines for applications are around three months before the semester abroad starts. But please pay attention, because deadlines vary with each program.

  6. Will my courses transfer back to BU?

    All BU students who study abroad must identify their courses and their BU equivalents well before departure. Should the BU student change a course after arrival, it is required that the student finds a BU equivalent and have it approved. The Office of Global Education assists students to have all courses transfer.

  7. Does financial aid apply to study abroad?

    Yes, usually. You are required to meet with a financial aid advisor to make certain precisely how your financial aid applies to your program. Financial aid often does not apply or only conditionally applies for summer or short-term programs.

  8. What if I am in the military? Can I still study abroad?

    Although study abroad is not an option for some in the military, we have had numerous students in the National Guard, ROTC, and other segments of the military study abroad with no problem.

  9. What are the living conditions at the study-abroad site?

    Living conditions of course vary greatly. You would be perhaps surprised that your living conditions in another country are better than in Bloomsburg. In some countries you will face extreme difficulties adapting to the culture. You must be clear about the cultural environment of your study-abroad site in advance. In most cases students adapt so well, that even in very different environment they thrive.

  10. How do I get housing?

    The BU Office of Global Education advises students regarding housing, travel and other living arrangements. For BU-sponsored programs, we work with the international offices of the host universities abroad. For non-BU programs, the providers assist in finding accommodations. Students are responsible for acquiring their own housing.

  11. Can I take general education courses when I study abroad?

    Many universities in the world do not have general education programs, because students in other countries finish their general education during college preparation in their secondary schools. Nevertheless, it is often possible to find some courses that apply to general education.

  12. Can I take courses in my major when I study abroad?

    We make every effort to match students with study-abroad programs that will apply credits toward a student’s major. But some majors are easier to transfer than others. For example, French language courses taken in France easily apply toward a French major. But courses in Accounting often do not transfer well, because the systems of Accounting in the United States are very different from those in other countries.

  13. Do I have to learn another language to study abroad?

    No, not necessarily. BU has programs in English-speaking countries and in several non-English-speaking countries where students can take courses in English. For example, you can go to Helsinki, Finland and study Business in English. But hopefully you will wish to learn the local language while you are there. BU offers courses in seven languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish.

  14. Will I have health insurance coverage when I study abroad?

    Health insurance is required for study abroad. The Office of Global Education enrolls students in high-quality international health and accident insurance programs. Click on this link for further information: Health Insurance

  15. What do I do in an emergency?

    First contact the local emergency offices. This contact information will be provided. If something happens and you need to contact BU, call the BU Police: +1 570-389-2211 at any time. It is also a good idea to use Skype or Facetime for calling home.

  16. What kinds of scholarships are available for study abroad?

    There are a lot of scholarship opportunities for study abroad. You can receive support from you department, from your college, from your university, and from many other sources. See the scholarship page on the Global Education Website.

  17. Can Bloomsburg University help me with my travel arrangements?

    Students are responsible for arranging their own travel and for acquiring all travel documents, such as passports and visas. The Office of Global Education can offer advice and guidance in making travel arrangements and applying for travel documents. See Information and Tips for Travel.

BU offers a variety of different global experiences for students, which include global exchange, joint-degree programs, Fulbright scholar programs and Summer study abroad.