Alcohol and Drug Related Incidents

Alcohol and Drug Related Incidents

What is the Sober Room?

Sober Room The Sober Room is a room located in a residence hall on campus. The Sober Room is staffed by an EMT and a University Police Officer. The room is equiped with cots for students to rest upon while "sobering up".

Why would I be required to go?
In the event that a student's physical state puts them in a state deemed dangerous to themselves or others, Univeristy Police will use discretion in mandating a student attend the Sober Room. Once a student is admitted, they will not be permitted to leave until cleared by the medical and police staff who will supervise them while they "Sober Up."

Is there a fee?
Students who are required to attend the Sober Room will be charged an administrative fee of $150.

Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings

A situation may arise where the judicial officer hearing your meeting decides you may benefit from an additional sanction of required Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings. This may also be a requirement after a DAWN Assessment and evaluation has been performed. You will be required to attend the appropriate number of meetings that are determined by your judicial officer or whoever is assessing your drug or alcohol consumption.

Alcoholics Anonymous is a voluntary, worldwide fellowship of men and women from all walks of life who meet together to attain and maintain sobriety. The only requirment for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership.

A.A. is a program of total abstinence. Members simply stay away from one drink, one day at a time. Sobriety is maintained through sharing experience, strength and hope at group meetings and through the suggested Twelve Steps for recovery from alcoholism.

A.A. does not keep membership records or case histories, follow up or try to control its members, made medical or psychiatric prognoses, dispense medicine or psychiatric advice, offer religious services, provide housing, food, clothing, jobs, money, provide domestic or vocational counseling, or provide letters of reference to parole boards, lawyers, court officials, social agencies or employers.

Resources: Alcoholics Anonymous (2007). AA at a glance.

Alcohol Emergency Immunity

"Good Samaritan" Law — To protect the life and health of young people, the state of Pennsylvania has an alcohol emergency amnesty law ("Good Samaritan" Law).

The alcohol amnesty law provides:

    "immunity from prosecution for a person under the age of 21 for the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages if law enforcement, including campus safety police, became aware of the possession or consumption solely because the individual was seeking medical assistance for someone else. The person seeking the assistance must reasonably believe he or she is the first to call for assistance, must use his own name with authorities, and must stay with the individual needing medical assistance until help arrives."

That means even if you are underage and have been drinking YOU won't get in trouble if you call and get help for a friend in need. Don't be afraid to get HELP! — dial 911 for emergencies or contact campus police for on campus help at 570-389-4168.

Parent or Guardian Letter

In the event of certain circumstances which include all drug violations, repeated alcohol offences, or severe alcohol violations which may include but not necessarily limited to high BAC resulting in transportation to the hospital, DUI, or any incident we deem as a serious threat to a student's health and safety, a student's parent or guardian will be notified of the incident.

The only exception to this letter is in the event that a student is legally of independent status in which case, that student will be responsible for contact our office within 72 hours.